Welcome the Power of Yoga Into Your Life
A Lifelong Commitment to Your Mind and Body
What other activity besides yoga comes with benefits for nearly every aspect of your life? By practicing this ancient yet modernized art form, you’re joining the millions who understand the peace, tranquility, and sense of well-being this training brings. As its unique poses test your body and will, yoga provides a powerful balance of workouts for your joints and muscles.
How Far Will Your Yoga Journey Take You?
Yoga can be so simple that the least athletic among us can walk into a class and experience the benefits. However, for those who choose to stick with their training and see how far they can take it, yoga provides an endless challenge that will require superior balance and strength that few will ever possess. Your yoga journey belongs to you alone, and you can take it as far as you wish.
This Guide Contains All You Need to Know to Get Started
From learning what gear you’ll need to the six best poses for a beginner, you’ll find all of your questions answered in this guide. Whether you want to know which style of yoga is best for you or you’re curious about the many advanced poses, reading through this content will vastly enhance your knowledge of this sacred art form. Read on so you can walk into your first yoga class with confidence.
To those who’ve never tried it, yoga can seem complex. This article provides an overview for beginners and will demystify many of the things you may be wondering so you’re ready to start.
- Read a summary of what yoga is and where it came from.
- Peruse an overview of the five most prevalent types of yoga.
- Check out a list of some of the yoga equipment you might need or want.
- Learn some general tips for getting the most out of your first yoga class.
Depending on the style you choose, yoga can include dozens or hundreds of different poses. Start with the six in this article to get a well-rounded taste of the yoga experience.
- Photos eliminate confusion, showing what each pose should look like.
- Read about the parts of the body that are engaged by each pose.
- Learn comprehensive instructions for executing these six poses.
- Includes classic yoga poses such as Cat, Cow, Bridge, and Downward Dog.
It can be tempting to spend a lot of money getting every yoga accessory that looks cool, but some are far more important than others – we’ll show you the difference.
- We break down the quintessential piece of yoga equipment, the Yoga Mat.
- Photos of yoga mats and yoga blocks will instantly give you an idea of what to look for.
- Explore links to five popular fashion brands that feature yoga apparel.
- Peruse a list of points to consider when shopping for each item.
Unlike any other popular workout, the history of yoga stretches back thousands of years and has cast its influence on just about every culture throughout the world.
- See a stunning photo of the Indus Valley, where yoga was first invented.
- Learn about the Vedic people and how their ancient texts formed the blueprint for yoga.
- Read about the father of yoga, Patanjali, and how he changed the art form forever.
- The story of Pierre Bernard shows his chaotic journey to popularize yoga in the West.
While many try yoga for relaxation and health benefits, some use it as a way to test the limits of their strength, balance, and flexibility. The poses showcased here will show you how.
- Read perspectives from two yoga experts, Amy and Leanne, on advanced poses.
- Photos remove any doubt as to what each of the poses should look like.
- See the poses in both English and Sanskrit to improve your yoga knowledge.
- From elite strength to unmatched balance, learn why each pose is so challenging.
Depending on the style you choose, yoga can be a dynamic workout or a quiet meditation. Discover the differences in popular yoga styles in this article.
- See the styles divided into active or relaxing so you can choose the one that fits best.
- Read insider tips for getting the most out of every style of yoga.
- Know which styles are most intense so you know whether you pursue or avoid them.
- Popular styles like Vinyasa, Kundalini, and Bikram yoga are described in detail.
Useful Yoga Resources
Continue your yoga journey from the comfort of your own home. Whether you’re going deep into the history or taking full classes online, many resources are available for motivated yoga practitioners.
- 10 Sites Where You Can Do Yoga For Free
- 50 Resources to Step Up Your Yoga Game
- 70 High-End Yoga Resources
5 Legendary Yoga Gurus to Read About
- B K S Iyengar – Influential yoga expert who founded his own style.
- Sri Sri Ravi Shankar – Made great efforts to spread peace and love worldwide.
- Tirumalai Krishnamacharya – The Indian father of Modern Yoga; Lived to 100 years old.
- Maharishi Mahesh Yogi – Invented Transcendental Meditation and spread it globally.
- K Pattabhi Jois – Inventor of one of the most active and dynamic styles, Ashtanga yoga.